To help your candle burn safer and longer, here are a few tips.
Let’s start with safety first because well… that is the saying and all. Ok, here we go!
- Don’t leave your candle unattended.
- Don’t burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time.
- Keep your lit candle away from drafts, windows & anything flammable because flames can be jumpers.
- Burn your candle out of reach of children and pets. They like shiny things but don’t know how to be safe. Also, cat tails.
Now for the fun part! Soy wax burns way longer than the inexpensive paraffin kind. Take advantage of that! When you first burn your candle, trim the wick to about 1/4″. Candle makers like me sell candles with longer wicks because they look prettier, but when you burn your candle, you don’t want the wick too long. You’ll want the flame a little closer to the wax. If you can, your first light should be at least an hour or until your wax melts all the way out to the edge of the glass or tin. This will give you a nice, even melt.
Before your next lighting, take a glance at your wick. If you’ve been enjoying your candle with normal use, it should be good to go. If you’ve left your candle burning for more than several hours, you may see the mushroom/George Washington effect on your wick. You’ll know it when you see it. Just trim that bad boy off before you light your candle and you’re all set.
Now, when all is said & done and your candle is all used up, don’t throw your glass away! Did you know that soy wax has a low melt point? What that means for you is that you can wash your candle glass with some soap and hot water and give it another life. What you’re looking at is an actual double old fashioned cocktail glass. Here are some ideas:
- Turn it into a mini terrarium. Those are all the rage.
- Be like grandma and fill it up with some candy.
- Grab all those pens laying around and put those in there.
- Make it a gathering place for all those makeup brushes.
- Use it for its intended purpose. Cheers!